Thursday, July 2, 2009

We are family...I got my whole small group with me...

The other day I met a group of friends for drinks at a patio in Kits. We talked easily for three hours, even though, from an outsider's perspective we may not have a lot in common. One of us was about to get married, another was divorced with two children (one in university and the other in high school), some of us were working for the summers, while others have been relaxing on the beach. Some of us are social hummingbirds (their wings flutter much faster than their butterfly cousins) while the rest prefer to keep low profiles, but the crazy glue-like bond that got us on that patio and talking easily for over three hours is law school.

The group of people I was with were all members of my "small group". Small groups are how the law school divides up the first year class. It's like a homeroom class with a twist--the twist being that you never, ever leave one another's side for over eight months. You have every class with every member of your small group; needless to say, you get to know one another very well.

Love 'em or hate 'em (and as with family, it's often both of those emotions mixed together), the members of your small group are going to be an integral part of your first year of law school. The people on the patio, and many others, were the people that I would phone when I didn't understand an assignment, or how to cite a case properly, or what a case was saying, or what my prof was saying (okay, so there was a lot of law school that I didn't understand...) The people on the patio made the difference for me between going home and crying after a hard day and going out for drinks and laughing after a hard day. The people on the patio and I will be lifelong friends because of the year that we shared together. They are my law family and I hope you are looking forward to meeting yours too!

If you have any questions about small groups, Orientation Week or anything else, feel free to give me a call (604) 827-3552 or email orientation@law.ubc.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment